Friday, November 13, 2009

A Funny Thing Happened to Me

...at the library. A couple of funny things, actually.

For anyone who doesn't know, I've been a part time aide at my local library for the last... erm... two and a half years or so. And, working with the public, I get to see lots of funny and bizarre behavior. But yesterday, I was the bizarre one.

Every fall, we have a "staff enrichment" meeting, where we do actually do some staff enriching, but also goof off a lot. This year, the goofing off was in the form of making beaded lanyards to hold name tags. The idea was that a beaded lanyard was prettier than a pinned on name tag, and more versatile too. Our tags have our names on them, of course, and also a little "Ask me about..." blurb where we can share our particular interests. Since beading is my particular hobby, I got really carried away with the lanyard-making part, and made myself six or so. That was a couple of weeks ago, so now whenever I'm at work, I'm wearing my lanyard and badge.

Yesterday, one of our public access computers had been acting up all day. More accurately, the patrons had been logging off of it wrong all day long and I kept having to fix it for every new patron. So when one patron had just left computer 4 and another sat down to log on, I was at the circulation desk twiddling with something or other. Suddenly I heard my name. The girl at computer 4 was calling, "Hannah? I need some help." I peered at her. She didn't look like anyone I knew. So, trying to look professional and absolutely NOT clueless, I went over to help her, all the while thinking, how does she know my name!?

Blonde. Moment.

Later that same day, I was inputing interlibrary loan requests into the database we use for such things, when I came to a request for a book that there was no way to get. It was only available from five sources in the U.S., three of which were booksellers, and two of which were inactive. Long story short: this book would not be coming in. So I called the patron.

Me: Is Kathy there?

Man Who Answered: No, this is her husband, can I help?

Me: This is the Pendleton County Library calling to tell her that the book she'd requested through interlibrary loan is not going to be possible to get. It's just that the availability is too limited, I'm afraid.

Him: I remember her saying something about a book. What was the title?

Me: *squirming* Uh... well... it's called, Give Him Back His Balls actually so... er...

Awkward.