Friday, June 18, 2010

Incoherent Ramblings of a Really Tired... Oh, Look, A Turtle!

Because I think it is an excellent practice in life to engage in as many daily excercises in futility as can be found, I stayed up until after 2 a.m. this morning trying to get ahead of the game with my housekeeping. You know who really bugs me? Efficient, organized mothers. Who are these wack jobs with their neatly groomed children, their lawnicures, their play dates, and their day-planners? Alien invaders, that's who. *subsides into disgruntled muttering*
 

Oh, where was I? Um, I folded laundry at 1 a.m. while watching the world's stupidest movie featuring the Rock. At least there was a joke about his head referencing Easter Island. That almost made it worth it. Now the betting pool can begin as to whether this laundry will actually make it into drawers and closets before being worn again... Hey, I just realized I'm blogging about laundry! Please don't sue me for damages if any of your loved ones fall into irreversible comas while reading this! I don't have any money anyway!

I had to get up this morning for work. Pesky work... I had to get up kind of early because I had to make crockpot venison and roasted fresh vegetables for lunch. Not my lunch. Joe's lunch. What? You don't get up at 6:30 a.m. after going to bed at 2 a.m. just to cook lunch? Wimp!
Hey, the vegetables turned out pretty good. I took one smallish zuchini, one smallish yellow squash, about six carrots, and about six potatoes, chopped them all up into largish pieces. Par-boil the carrots and potatoes. Toss all the veggies with about a 3/4 of bacon drippings or butter, some garlic salt, and a bag of Flavorite parmesan cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for... Heck, I don't know. Until it looks edible. Do this at 6:30 a.m. and the experience takes on a whole new degree of domesticity. It's like Thanksgiving in June!

On the way to work, I stopped to take a picture of a snapping turtle about a foot in diameter who had come out to the road to sun him or herself. I love snapping turtles. You get down at eye level to take their picture using your shoe for size comparison, and they turn towards you to kick your butt ve-e-e-e-ery slo-o-o-o-owly... I know, you don't do this sort of thing, but that's because you don't know what's really fun in life. Getting your Birkenstock bitten by a snapping turtle while holding up traffic is a great way to kickstart your day. Especially if it began with roasting vegetables at 6:30 a.m.

Postscript: If you're wondering what possible connection the photos have to the paragraphs they inhabit, the answer is none whatsoever. I'm really tired and I feel no compulsion at all to make sense. Thpbbt!
The children and the flowers
Are my sisters and my brothers.
Their laughter and their loveliness
Could clear a cloudy day...
(And no, that is not me behind Abraham. I look bad in a swimsuit, but not that bad...)

1 comment:

Catalano said...

As promised, here are my comments:

1.) Laundry in the middle of the night? You're gunning for supermom--or at least her spunky librarian sidekick. There's so much sh*t that doesn't get done on a daily basis on my house--not pointing any fingers. We're all exhausted seemingly all the time. I don't know how some people do it.

1.b.) Even more annoying than supermoms? "Wearing makeup to the playground" moms. Thank god I don't live in Lincoln Park--there's like a direct express from Miami OH to Lincoln Park--but enough of it has crept into my neighborhood.

2.) Re: "I had to make crockpot venison and roasted fresh vegetables for lunch..." I'm going to call BS. Either you're patting your back and propping up your bid for the Supermom sidekick position or you're just crazy. Were you cooking for Joe and clients? His boss? What does he do when he makes his own lunch? Ten bucks says he makes a sandwich. Or leftovers.

2.b.) Flavorite Parmesean cheese? No way. That's not cheese and it certainly isn't parmesean. Get a nice wedge of parmeggiano reggiano and a grater.

Oh, and garlic and salt should be two separate ingredients. But I guess at 6 a.m. you're entitled to cut a few corners.

3. Nice nature pics. I really like the ones with the flowers.