Sunday, May 11, 2014

Moms

Today is Mother's Day. I'm not sure whose idea this was. Don't get me wrong: I'm all for it. Moms deserve notice. These are women who gladly go through labor to make more people. They feed these small people, clean them, hold them, dress them, take embarrassing pictures of them. They bandage ouchies. Once, when my son cut his wrist in the storm door (and wasn't that fun to explain at the emergency room...) I actually laid on his head so he wouldn't freak out while receiving stitches.

I like to think of motherhood as the world's most eclectic calling. No two moms are going to go at it the same way. My mom friend Elaine is an elegant, independent mom. She takes care of two kids and a husband, a house, and a school library, while at the same time being a student. She may have a red "S" tattooed on her chest. I'm not sure.

My mom friend Angela is a compassionate, activist mom. She's got two sons in her arms and one in her heart. Among her talents are cooking soy/dairy/corn/gluten free meals that are totally yummy, kickboxing, and writing about being a mom after child loss. She's probably got a halo on a hat stand.

My mom sisters-in-law, Susan and Katie are inspiring modern moms. They do birthdays and play rooms with artistry and panache. They are super-cool moms raising happy, independent kids with spunk and personality. And I personally would like to thank them for making me an aunt four times over.

My mom friend Heather is a deserving mom. She's a blessing to two kids who needed a great mom. But if you mention that to her, she'll tell you that she's the blessed one. She's just humble and loving like that. Besides that, she has the cutest dog-babies on Facebook.

My mom friend Barb is a wise mom. My mom friend Susie is an adventurous mom. My mom friend Cassie is a joyful mom. My mom friend Alexis is a fun mom. My friend Beth is a funny mom. I could type all night and not manage to mention all the great moms I know. There's definitely no way I can describe all their wonderful qualities in one blog. But whether I mention their names or not, this blog is for them.

And now I'm going to spend a few minutes on two very special moms. 

Hi Carolyn. You're my other mother. You opened your arms wide to me when you found out I would become your daughter. You've always helped when you could, advised when I needed it, forgiven every mistake. Your strong hands always touch with love. You're beautiful and passionate and faithful. You gave me your son and have trusted me with his heart. I know there's no more precious gift. Thank you. I love you and I'm glad to know you. Happy Mother's Day, Mom2!

Hi Mom. You were there when I was born. I don't remember it, but you definitely do because I decided  to give you back labor and emerge face up. Sorry about that. Here's what I do remember: you always let me be myself. Looking through pictures of my childhood, I'm not sure that was always a good thing.  I mean, yikes--the things I tried in the name of fashion! Burn those pictures, okay? You were there when I fell off the slide and landed on my head in first grade. Did you know you were upside down and black and white? It was a good trick. You let Joel and me take over the entire living room with blankets and kitchen bowls and build elaborate Constructs landscapes. I don't remember you ever threatening to throw our toys in the creek if we didn't clean them up for weeks at a time. You let me dress up as King David for Halloween at school. Looking back, that may have been the cross dressing incident that spelled the end of Halloween parties at the Christian day school, but it was fun while it lasted. You used to read books at stop lights while driving us to school. Shame on you. You have always been the most truthful person I know, and I think that's brave. You sewed me a beautiful wedding dress because I asked, even though I'm sure you'd rather have just bought one. You have always been there to help me when I didn't know what to do with babies, or when I did know what to do with babies but wasn't used to having more than one. You know where everything is in the Bible when I need that wisdom. You read my poems and blogs and act like they're worth reading, which sometimes is the only thing that makes me think that they are. I think I can safely say I wouldn't be here without you. Love you, Mom! Happy Mother's Day.

No comments: