Friday, July 30, 2010

I Have Weird Dreams

What are you looking at!?
I've fallen off the wagon, or something. A couple of weeks ago, I wrote my foodie post on a Thursday, thinking that I'd have a chance on Friday to write my regular miscellany post. Then, as it happens, I spent that whole Friday and half of the following Saturday... How shall I say this delicately? Oh, why worry? Praying to the porcelain god. That is enough to make anyone forget what they were going to blog about, let me tell you. Sadly, it was also enough to make me get queasy every time I even look at that Ratatouille Stew picture, even though I know the stew had nothing to do with the porcelain god worship.
At any rate, I haven't felt quite right ever since. Not right enough for grand adventures with little men, anyway. And the one adventure we did go on that involved playing at a playground under a bridge (yikes!?), I didn't have my camera with me. Amateur! I missed all kinds of wonderful photo ops, too. At the place we went to after the playground there was a street magician and a band and tiny dancers (mine) all very worthy of pictures. Alas.
Also, the boys and I have built our own private water park, using a garden hose, a swing set, a baby pool, and daddy's heartburn because he's the one who has to haul the water to fill the cistern. There's not much to be said about that, at least that can be repeated in polite company, but I did get some fun pictures.



I think I also forgot the brilliant things I was going to say about the new creek we found to walk in two or three weeks ago. A weekend yak-fest really mucks up blogging! So anyway, I'm going to tell you about the very strange snippet that I remember from my dreams last night, and follow it up with a whole slew of nonsequitorial pictures and call it a day.


I must be stressed out about my job, which, given the fact that I'm a part time library aid and I can't think of a less stressful job in the world (except for possibly mattress testing) seems unlikely. Maybe I've been taking hallucinogenic drugs without knowing it. I hear nutmeg, in large enough quantities, will do that to you. I do like a pinch of nutmeg on my waffles, but seriously! Never mind all that, anyway.
I didn't sleep very well last night, probably from a combination of poorly timed caffeine, unexplained aches and pains, and a bladder the size of a hummingbird's. Spending the night in a semi-wakeful state always results in my remembering bits of my dreams. In this case, I was standing with a group of my family members next to what appeared to be a flash flood of mud, which rushed past us, whirl-pooled, and then flowed back towards us in a "possible-only-in-dreams" separate current in the same stream of water. For some reason, I decided to prove this by throwing Charlie's rubber ducky into the water to see if it would come boomeranging back. This caused a panic, wherein everyone, all of whom were inexplicably wearing tuxedos, jumped into the flash flood and went wading after the ducky to catch it. I, in turn, freaked out, and the dream changed so that the flash flood was suddenly only waste deep, and after everyone had climbed out of it, it hardened into fresh asphalt.
The last thing I remember (and I really don't understand this--perhaps the dream had changed in the interim to something I was too deeply asleep to remember) is hearing a voice-over say, "And then we will perform other Dewey Decimal related magics!"
Huh?
Three pictures of something I haven't identified yet.
Thistle obsession, revisited.
Surprise! Lily!
Artsy raindrop photo.
Tall Ironweed
Two pictures of Pokeberry
Elf Village
Slaty Skimmer likes my swamp!

P.S. The fringe benefit of being out-classed by all one's genius relatives is that you can usually count on at least one of them to know the answer to whatever piece of ignorance one is willing to post in one's blog. Courtesy of Uncle Stuart, the unidentified plant is:  Physalis alkekengi or Chinese Lantern.

No comments: