Sunday, February 03, 2013

Embarrassing Poetry from High School, and a Recipe, Because That Just Makes Sense

Recently, like a brave archaeologist venturing into the tombs of the Pharaohs, I dug out a folder of musty poetry and other writing that I did in high school. Much like that first sentence, I discovered my high school poetry to be rife with overblown sentiments and trite imagery. So, because I think everyone should embarrass him or herself at least once a week on principle, I have decided to share the least horrible of it with you. May you snort liquid out your nose in mirth at my sophomoric (and occasionally junioric or even senioric, but I don't think there's any freshmanic) efforts.

Who, What, When, Where, Why, Huh?

Oh no! I'm late again!
I really have to run.
I've got nowhere to be
and I must be there by one!

You ask why I must go?
I have nothing to do;
and if I don't finish it,
I'll be nowhere 'til two.

I've got No one to meet
and he'll be mad, I know
if I'm one minute late
so I've really got to go.

In no time I must be there
and there's no time like the present
to leave and get there early.
It's high time that I went.

I've no reason to go
and no excuse for being late.
No one is important
and I'd hate to make him wait.

I'm glad we talked that out.
I hope it's clearer now.
Nonsense always makes sense
when you don't know how.

I also, apparently, spent a lot of high school pondering the efficacy of the most important meal of the day. So here are those brilliant musings, for your edification.

Time for a Healthy Breakfast

Cereal is for chipmunks!
I like my breakfast hot
or if I'm eating bark and twigs
I should get to eat a lot.
Nor do I want technicolor
crunchy marshmallow stuff.
I would much rather have eggs
and toast browned just enough.

On that note, I think I created a fantastic recipe for pancakes this morning. My family loves pancakes, and I am trying to add some nutrition to our diets through stealth and treachery. So...

Banapple Oatcakes

1 cup oats
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk
2/3 cup apple sauce
1 ripe banana
4.5 tsp honey
2 eggs
Optional: 1/4 tsp each of cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg

Put the oats in the blender until they're practically flour, then stir together all the dry ingredients.
Put the banana and other "wet" ingredients in your blender and make a smoothie of it.
Stir the wet into the dry and cook on a hot griddle like you would normal pancakes.

I found these to taste sweeter than regular pancakes, and lightly fruity. They'd be great with apple butter, or fruit topping, but I had them with honey with splash of cloves and cinnamon stirred into it. I loved these pancakes, and I'm not generally a pancake person. They didn't fool my family, but since everyone but the four year old liked them, I will probably make them again. These could be made dairy free by using coconut milk instead of dairy milk, but then I might leave out the honey or they'd be too sweet. From what I read on the omniscient internet, these could also be made gluten free by substituting Teff flour, but you'd also have to look for specially marked "gluten free" oats. I gather this is because commercial oats are often grown in close proximity to commercial wheat and become contaminated? That sounds a bit whacky to me, but I don't want to kill someone with Celiac disease, so that's my disclaimer. Anyway, try these, they're sure to please all but the grinchiest of grinches.

No comments: